Saturday, August 22, 2009

Not doing too much

So, we had all that great excitement at the beginning of August and here we are already nearing the end! I can’t believe there is less than two weeks left before school starts. I’d love to get at least one more camping trip in. The van crisis stole one of our weekends!

The first week after our trip we didn’t do too much because we didn’t have a vehicle. We had to wait to hear from the insurance company before making any plans. We only have one car that can get all the kids around. The van did end up being totaled, which was nice because we didn’t have to drive 5 hours to retrieve a “fixed up” van.

Instead we shopped around to see what was available. There aren’t a whole lot of used vans out there and we think it has something to do with the “Cash for Clunkers” program. We thought briefly about getting a small SUV, but I just can’t give up the mom-wagon yet. I LOVE the minivan. I love the 7 seats plus gas mileage!

IMG_0084IMG_0085The van we found was the SAME year and SAME brand. I wanted to go newer, but when we saw this one, I had a gut feeling that this was the one for me. It has less miles and is in WAY better condition…and it was cheap compared to going newer. It has the bigger engine in it so we can pull our tent trailer easier too. It is red instead of the forest green of my last two vans. I didn’t like the red at first, but it is really growing on me. Now I love the flashier color.

The weather wasn’t as nice for a week there, so the girls played inside. They still had friends over or played the Wii, so I think they still had a good time.

On Friday night Mike’s mom had a cousin sleepover at her house! The girls were super excited and had a great time, while Michael and I enjoyed a date out. We drove 45 minutes to get to a PF Changs. Totally worth it! My favorite restaurant. I thought the closest was in Seattle, so I was excited to learn there was one at the Alderwood Mall. Yummy lettuce wraps. When can I go again!?

IMG_0052

Mike’s been running harder than ever. He has to run at least 10 miles 3 times a week now and a long one (like 20 miles) on the weekend! I don’t know how he keeps it up! The marathon is October 3rd, so he’ll be able to run for fun again after that.

I feel like I am always in front of the computer these days and it is starting to drive me crazy. I love technology until I hate it! Last Wednesday we had a low-technology day. The girls and I went for a bike ride to the park by the library. Then, we went to the church pool for awhile. Then we had a nice ice cream treat when we visited Great Gramma Wright. After dinner we even went for a walk. Hmm…replace computer time with physical activity…what a thought!?

IMG_0057IMG_0059  IMG_0061

Oh, we also had to get a hitch put on the new van last week. Now I’m ready to go camping again! Too bad all the weekends are taken up now.

We have done our school supply shopping and purchased an new outfit or two. I just need to get their hair cut and then they’ll be all ready for school again. They want to ride the Skat bus for our girl day again this year! That was a fun adventure.

I’ve started thinking about what I am going to do as a Girl Scout leader this year. I’m so excited about it. I have lots of resources to read to get ready. I hope I can manage having all three age groups in one troop. That makes it tricky. If I have enough helpers, it will be fine.

The other super exciting thing that has happened in the last month is that I am no longer the Ladies’ Ministries Administrator for our church. I loved the position, but I was getting tired out. My sister-in-law Melissa stepped up and is taking it on with great enthusiasm, energy, and motivation…so I feel so at peace knowing it is all in good hands. I’m still involved by being the publicity girl now. I get to make pretty advertisements and write “ads” and post stuff on the web for this job, so it is super perfect for me! I just love how God gave us gifts and puts us in the right spot to use them. He is awesome that way!

So, we don’t have any set spectacular plans for the last two weeks of summer, but I think we’ll find some fun. Sounds like the salmon are running, so Mike might try his hand at that.

Hope everyone is staying cool! Lots of virtual hugs to you all!

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the UPDATE AND THE GREAT PICTURES...SOUNDS LIKE A FUN SUMMER...HAPPY YOU FOUND A VAN AND I DO LOVE THE RED!!! LOOKS LIKE IT FITS YOU, SHAWNA. IT HAS STILL BEEN PRETTY WARM HERE BUT GUESS WE ARE USED TO IT..ALTHO WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO SOME COOL NIGHTS!!! WE MIS YOU GUYS AND LOVE YOU SO MUCH. HUGS FROM BOTH OF US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your new shiny car I do hope you guys are going to school soon striking is just so dumb

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thank you for commenting.

To post a comment you'll have to click "Select profile..." next to where it says "Comment as:" below your post. Choose "name/URL" to sign with your name. You can leave the URL blank.

Summer 2015

This is how we roll… Summer has been full of studying for me, working for Mike, Kelby, and Tegan, and hanging out for Anika! We have spent ...