We had our first Girl Scout meeting on Tuesday. We have twelve of the little girls (Daisies and Brownies) and it was a busy, crazy time. I think we'll get it figured out, but we might have to corral them in a smaller room to stop the temptation for them to run around the room. My new Brownie leader brought in the craft to do. I just had to come up with some games.
Tuesday night was Open House at the school. We got to meet all the teachers and they all seem really great! We are excited for the year. Two of Kelby's teachers even email once a week to let everyone know what is going on! That helps so much.
I guess I have a reputation now...one of fighting for the kids. A friend called to tell me of the something their family has come up against at the high school. They are reading a book as Sophomores with multiple *really* bad words on each page and a sex scene. Yikes! I don't know why that is necessary and I certainly want to be aware of these things as a parent. They didn't have any permission slips or information to the parents about it and they won't even let the kids take their books home. So, yes, I am nervous. On the other hand...if I am made aware and given the choice, I think I would choose to let the girls read the book, but I'd read it too so we could have some discussions. The book's theme is actually an thought provoking one. It is called "Feed" and is about the feed kids get from culture and media. Funny thing is that the way the book is written...it becomes a part of that toxic "feed" it is angling against!
On Saturday we went fishing up at Newhalem. We didn't go camping because of the impending rain, but Saturday was beautiful. We even ran into the Oates Family and Debbie and George with cousins Riley and Luke, so it was a real party! Mike taught the girls how to fly fish and between them they caught (and released) 17 fish! The leaves are starting to turn and the trees were so beautiful up there! Mike took great pictures, but I don't think he's got them off his camera yet.
I'm in the process of going through a year's worth of photos to have them printed for my scrapbooking retreat this weekend! That is always the hardest part of going, but I get so much done. That is pretty much all the scrapbooking I do each year.
Everyone is going great here! Hugs!
Shawna
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to hear from you! Thank you for commenting.
To post a comment you'll have to click "Select profile..." next to where it says "Comment as:" below your post. Choose "name/URL" to sign with your name. You can leave the URL blank.