Thursday, July 22, 2010

Eastward Ho!

Summer is just sneaking by us. We have been having a great time! The weather has even improved.

The week after the 4th of July was slow, but it was an opportunity to get ready for the big week that was coming. I spent my time trying to get ready to teach Outdoor Skills at our Girl Scout Day camp.

On Thursday, that week, the girls and and I rode our bikes to the library for a special presentation, “Westward Ho”. It was about the food of the pioneers. The librarians offered a feast of recipes. They had corn bread, baked beans, bean chili, and a black bean soup. It was delicious. She also baked a 4th of July cake and various pies. We even tried a dandelion salad! My girls were adventurous and tried everything. They even liked it (except the dandelion greens which were pretty bitter.) The librarians shared excerpts from books and diaries of pioneer women. They were a hard working sort having to fight every day just to feed their family. It really has me thinking about the life I lead as a woman. I got it easy!

On Saturday we went camping to our old stand by location of Newhalem. Mike had asked a friend from work if his family would like to join us and they did. They have four kids and they all loved playing together. We got a camp site next to a really neat wooded area where they all could play. The kids build themselves forts.

DSC_7603
DSC_7610
 DSC_7606
We had a really great time talking walks and hanging out with friends. I even tested a few things for our upcoming Girl Scout camp. We made no-bake chocolate cookies and I left them out on the picnic table to cool. Apparently they were too tempting for our little friend.
DSC_7548

On Monday at 1:00 we had the first day of Girl Scout day camp. I spent all morning planning and packing the car with stuff I might need. We taught fire skills on Monday, outdoor cooking on Tuesday, navigation on Wednesday, and Hiking on Thursday. I think that my class was a hit with the girls. It was so fun to give these girls the opportunity to learn some new things and to build their confidence in other areas. I had them lighting matches, using a lighter to light a camp stove, identifying plants in the woods and even a little geocaching! Here they are building edible fires!
333_0003
333_0009

333_0042

That was a great week! The girls also got to do crafts, archery, and songs/games, and swimming. We were pooped by the end. On weekend we didn’t do too much just so we could recover.

This week we were getting everything ready to head out for Montana and our “Little House on the Prairie” vacation.

We are going to a wedding in Livingstone, Montana and then to visit my grandparents in Billings. Then, we are going to keep heading east through Mt. Rushmore and on to Walnut Grove, MN. This is the first time we’ve done a road trip like that…to just visit touristy places.

I’ve checked out the whole series of Little House on the Prairie audio books to listen to the whole way! Hopefully it will be one of those things that the girls remember forever…even if they think it is weird that we went to Minnesota.

Keep us in your prayers for safety and smooth sailing (and no deer)! Also, we are hoping the weather works for us. We’ll be able to be flexible, so who knows what all we’ll do on this trip! I’m sure that updates and pictures will follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thank you for commenting.

To post a comment you'll have to click "Select profile..." next to where it says "Comment as:" below your post. Choose "name/URL" to sign with your name. You can leave the URL blank.

Summer 2015

This is how we roll… Summer has been full of studying for me, working for Mike, Kelby, and Tegan, and hanging out for Anika! We have spent ...