Friday, February 20, 2009

Dentist Anxiety

Well, the week did fly by. On Tuesday I went to the doctor and he thinks I might be allergic to something in my hair products...so for the next 10 days I have to try something that would be any girl's nightmare...especially one with naturally curly hair. I have to go without conditioner and styling products! Yikes. I can't find any hypo-allergenic conditioners and gels; they must only be available online or something. I don't want to spend too much money on it anyway in case that isn't the problem, so I guess I'll have to perservere through the next eight days. My hair is a big frizz ball. I can wear my hair pinned back and it is okay, but today I straightened it a little. I think I look weird!

Today I had to take Kelby down to her dentist appointment down at Children's. Gramma Debbbie came down for the ride and she watched Anika while we were in her appointment. It was so nice to have company for the drive.

I wasn't expecting the visit to be that bad since they were planning to give her the nitrous oxide. As soon as we got into the room Kelby grabbed hold of me and started freaking out. She dug into me and wouldn't let go. She wouldn't talk to the dentist and couldn't be reasoned with. After 15 minutes or so the dentist finally had to say that either Kelby would have to settle down and let them give her the happy gas or mommy would have to leave the room. She finally let them do it. I was so upset with her and frustrated through the whole thing.

Once she had the gas, she calmed down and was happy to let them work on her mouth. They had to numb that bum tooth so they could clean it. The dentist is sure it is just a malformed tooth from her cancer treatment. The gums were looking much better at least since she's been brushing it now. Kelby has learned to brush her teeth with warm water so that her tooth doesn't hurt when she brushes. We have to see a periodontist now to see what they can do help the gums heal and maybe grow back over the exposed root.

Although I don't blame her for her anxiety, Mike and I decided to give her a consequence for her behavior so we can avoid this problem next time. She just needed to calm down and relax and it was within her ability to choose to calm down. She's now grounded from the Wii for two weeks. It is hard to be the mean parents somtimes!

Tonight we went to bingo night at the school. My friend Jennifer had watched Tegan after school for me while we were at the dentist, so we met them at the school. Mike even came with us so it was a fun family evening.

Tomorrow I am taking the girls up to Bellingham where I'll be selling some old craft stuff. The scrapbooking store is hosting a "garage sale". For everything I sell I'll get credit at their store. It isn't as good as cash, but it sure is an easy way to clean out my craft supply. The girls and I will have a good time shopping and maybe going out to lunch.

It is going to be a busy weekend and then I have to take Kelby down for another appointment at Children's on Monday.

I'm exhausted now, so I think I'll sign off for tonight.

2 comments:

  1. IF YOU HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED "DENTIST ANXIETY" YOU ARE INDEED A VERY LUCKY PERSON. WE FEEL SO BAD FOR KELBY HAVING TO GO THRU THIS...MAYBE IT WILL BE BETTER NEXT TIME...SURE HOPE SO. THANKS FOR THE UPDATE, SHAWNA AND YOUR HAIR LOOKS VERY NICE...JUST AS BEAUTIFUL AS EVER. HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND, WE LOVE YOU ALL AND I THINK SOMEONE SPECIAL HAS A BIRTHDAY NEXT WEEK:-) HUGS FROM BOTH OF US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a bummer that Kelby is so scared of the dentist, but I can hardly blame her with all she's been through. I'm slowly learning to accept the fact that just by being a dentist people are going to be scared of me ;) I haven't done my pediatric rotations yet, but I hear it's quite an experience lol! Gramma and Grampa have told me a little about Kelby's oral health problems stemming from the cancer treatments, but it would be interesting to chat with you and learn more about it someday. Look me up next time you guys drive thru Oregon! Love ya cuz!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thank you for commenting.

To post a comment you'll have to click "Select profile..." next to where it says "Comment as:" below your post. Choose "name/URL" to sign with your name. You can leave the URL blank.

Summer 2015

This is how we roll… Summer has been full of studying for me, working for Mike, Kelby, and Tegan, and hanging out for Anika! We have spent ...