I’m frustrated because I don’t know how Kelby is doing in school. This happened last year at this same time. We’ve been plucking along and doing fine, but for some time now I haven’t received any graded work for Kelby. The trouble is that graded work is my only pre-report card gauge of what she is learning and if she is understanding it.
I think, overall, that she is doing just fine in school. It isn’t her favorite thing to do. She’d rather be drawing, but I think she is growing each year at a normal pace. She had a couple tests to rate her growth in reading and math and apparently tested above her grade level, so I shouldn’t be too worried right?
She has been assigned a Washington report due at the end of this month and it has been a challenge for her and me. We got a list of what was due when, but I’m just not sure what quality and quantity of information is expected from her. How much is she expected to do on her own? The way she is doing it is not how I would do it…but I’m not a fourth grader. I probably shouldn’t hold her to my standards.
She picked the topic of “Lewis and Clark in Washington”. How much information is needed for each paragraph, how much am I supposed to help her, and what will the report will be graded on? I’m STRESSED out about it! There is only a fine line between helping her do it and doing it myself.
Kelby’s challenge self-managing her time and being motivated to get work done. Grades don’t matter to her, so they don’t motivate her. When I was a kid, on the other hand, I was totally motivated by grades. I wanted perfection. I’d do all the extra credit I could, plus I truly enjoyed learning and doing just what the teacher asked me to do. We are pretty opposite, so I don’t know how to help her.
Kelby is such a good girl. She doesn’t make bad choices and doesn’t wander around the classroom. Her class had a substitute today and the boys were just floating about the room trying to see how far they could go before they got in trouble. I watched Kelby just sit and work at her math quietly. She flies by under the radar. She’s so quiet and shy that I’m sure she doesn’t ask questions when she has them. What can I do to help her?
I think that when the teacher is giving instructions, Kelby might have a hard time paying attention or remembering the details. She doesn’t seem to know what is expected of her. I can’t imagine that the teacher isn’t telling her, so it leads me to believe that she just isn’t retaining the information. I don’t have any way to help her since I don’t know what is expected of her. So, my only conclusion is that she needs to start using some tools for recalling the information. She could make herself lists (like us grownups have to use!) Maybe the teacher could send home written, detailed expectations or a sample of what the work should look like. That would be more work for the teacher, but I’m sure it would help other students besides just Kelby.
Expectations should be clear and at least two forms of communication should be used to get that information to sink in..for Kelby it should probably be more visual. Also, if I know what the expectations are, I can hold Kelby accountable to what the teacher wants. I’m ready to back up the teacher’s rules/requirements if I know what they are. Even if I have to enforce some consequences, I’ll do it.
So why am I sharing this on my blog? Well, I guess I’m trying to get my thoughts straight before talking to her teacher. I do love her teacher, by the way…she is an awesome lady. I’m not blaming anybody for Kelby’s troubles…which might not even be real troubles at all. I think there is just a little tweaking that needs to be done to help her succeed to her best potential and recognizing what those tweaks is the goal. I’m nervous for 5th grade because the grades are “real” and more ridged. It is too easy to be apathetic.
If anyone has experience with this or has good advice for me, please comment! I’d love to hear it.
HAPPY FRIDAY!!! HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND AND REMEMBER WE LOVE YOU ALL. HUGS FROM BOTH OF US.
ReplyDeleteHAPPY FRIDAY:-) MUST BE BUSY, BUSY, BUSY IN SEDRO WOOLEY THESE DAYS!!! I HOPE THE SUN IS SHINING FOR YU THIS WEEKEND...REMEMBER WE LOVE YOU ALL AND HUGS FROM BOTH OF US.
ReplyDeleteHAPPY JUNE 1, 2009!!!! SOMEONE VERY SPECIAL HAS A BIRTHDAY THIS MONTH...HMMMM, I WONDER WHO THAT IS??? HAVE A GREAT WEEK EVERYONE AND REMEMBER WE LOVE YOU ALL. HUGS FROM BOTH OF US.
ReplyDelete