Tuesday, June 14, 2005

So Much Going On

Wow, so much as happened in the last week! Some good and some bad...good news first. Michael got to attend a conference on technology in Seattle on Wednesday and Thursday last week. On Wednesday I spent the day giving the girls a bunch of attention. I spent the morning with Tegan and Anika in the toy room playing house. After Kelby got home we went to the library and then watched a movie in the toy room on the portable DVD player and read our library books. It was a nice relaxing day. The girls really needed that day of solid attention since I've been so busy with the Walk-A-Thon lately.

Kelby's class had their class field trip to Padilla Bay. The kids got icky and muddy and looked for crabs and creatures in the mud on the beach. Tegan got to enjoy it with Kelby, while Anika rode on my back.

On Friday we enjoyed Field Day at Kelby's school. The kids were outside playing games all morning. Tegan gots to join right in with the kids again. There was face painting, a parachute game, and bubbles, so we couldn't go wrong.

On Saturday we went to the long-awaited Relay for Life. It was much more than I expected. We had a wonderful family time even though it was raining at first. Mike's work team had a tent up to sell snow cones. Each team had some other fun thing up to sell with the proceeds going to the American Cancer Society. We set up a tent for the girls to "nap" in and a canopy over us to keep out the rain. The event started with a Survivor Lap. Kelby got a special purple shirt, flowers, candy and the chance to walk around the track with other surviors. It was far more emotional than I thought it would be. She was so beautiful and proud to walk by herself with the other people in purple shirts. Then she got to enjoy a cake and cookie social for the survivors. Her favorite part was the face painter, balloonist, and the jumpy balloon house. Both the girls loved all the activites and running around on the high school football field and up and down the bleachers. As the work crew started setting up the luminaries around the track, Kelby followed them around trying to see if she could find hers. The girls stayed up late, but finally fell asleep right before they lit the luminaries. After the lighting ceremony and a lap around the lighted track with Kelby, I packed up the girls to go home and Mike stayed late to walk with his team. It was a very amazing day.

Now for the bad news. I was going to postpone Kelby's regularly scheduled doctor appointment at Children's but the only day they could reschedule it on was her birthday. I decided to just get it over with even though the Walk-A-Thon was the next day. Normally we just chat with the doctor and nothing happens, but this time as she was checking Kelby she found a significant lump under her armpit. I can feel it too. it is about an inch in diameter. The doctor was very concerned because it is a lymph node right under the arm where her cancer relapsed last year. It isn't very likely to have an enlarged lymph node that isn't sore be anything but a relapse. We are going in for scans tomorrow. I'll keep you updated as we find out anything. I'm not panicking. I see the amazing tapestry of God's timing in this. I'm so thankful that the Walk-A-Thon was today and now I don't have to work so hard on it anymore. Kelby's school gets out on Friday, so we won't have to worry about that. She seems to be taking it all in stride. I can't believe Kelby's strength sometimes. We explained to her that her cancer might be back. It doens't seem to worry her at all. She wishes she could get the "dizzy medicine" tomorrow, but we told her she had to be brave enough to get her "pictures" taken while she's awake this time. She's going to be brave because she wants to earn tassles for her bike handles.

Today's Walk-A-Thon was enough to keep my mind occupied. It was a busy, but good day. Everything came together and now it is done. The kids raised over $4,500! We had a hectic day, what with 360 kids walking, but the teachers and staff were happy with the event. I was so happy because I tracked down the water bottles that I ordered. They weren't going to make it on time, but UPS held them at their warehouse for me and I was able to pick them up and save the day. I'm just so happy to be done with it for awhile. All the hard work paid off.

I'll let you know what happens with the scans tomorrow as soon as I can. Please be praying for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thank you for commenting.

To post a comment you'll have to click "Select profile..." next to where it says "Comment as:" below your post. Choose "name/URL" to sign with your name. You can leave the URL blank.

Summer 2015

This is how we roll… Summer has been full of studying for me, working for Mike, Kelby, and Tegan, and hanging out for Anika! We have spent ...