Monday, June 20, 2005

Whoever Said?

It's been a long few days since I last wrote. It doesn't help that I have had a strange 100 degree temperature for four days. I don't feel right, but I don't know what the problem is. Muscle aches and a low-grade fever. Hopefully we figure it out tomorrow and the doctor just gives me some antibiotics.

We didn't know until today that Kelby will be getting her biopsy done on Wednesday. I don't know yet if it will be an out patient surgery or if she'll have to stay overnight. It would be surprising if they kept her overnight. At very least it will be a long day...maybe nighttime when we get home, knowing how things go at Children's.

Kelby seems to be feeling fine, but is asking more questions. I actually enjoy the talks we have had lately. I'm thankful that God has made her so strong and brave and I told her that.

Mike's Father's day was lacking because I was sick and didn't do it up right...in fact we failed with both our own dads too. (So Sorry! We do really love and appreciate what great dads you both are.) At least the girls crafted their own daddy a few cards.

Speaking of what a great dad my kids have, he took Kelby and Tegan to that Madagascar movie on Saturday. They love going to the movies with daddy! I loved going to the movies with my dad when I was a kid too. I remember specifically one time when we left "The Little Mermaid" that he was so disappointed that the girl had been so disrepectful to her father. Being somewhere between 13 and 16 at the time, I thought he was being ridiculous, but now, with three girls of my own, I understand.

We rented the DVD of the first season of Little House on the Prairie this weekend. I cried at all three episodes that we watched. That show is a commentary on how far we've come from the time when a faithful man and his family were shown with honor and respect on television. I feel like our little family is a slice from that time period. We are a modern day Ingalls family. Mike grew up on the show and knows nearly every episode by heart. I wonder if it didn't affect the man he grew up to be because Mike is just so much like Charles Ingalls. I think Charles Ingalls trusted God, and maybe that is why he reminds me of Mike.

During the "Prairie" days, people knew how to deal with bad things happening to good people. Crops got ruined, fires burned, mother's died in childbirth, and when children got sick it was often beyond their control. Where are the people of today that trust their heavenly Father's righteous plan? Where are the people that believe that earth is just a blink in the life of someone that goes to heaven? This life is for loving God and loving others...and then, though we don't deserve it, God lets those that believe in His Son go to heaven when they die. What does it mean to "believe in Jesus" anyway? Doesn't it mean to believe that God's plan is bigger and better than any plan that we could have, that He loves us and wants what is best for us, that His will is best? Even if we lose our job, our house, or a child, he will use it to change hearts and bring more people to be with Him in heaven.

    "Whoever said that a straightened hand was more dramatic than a healed heart anyway?"
    Quote from "Blessed Child" by Ted Dekker and Bill Bright

    These are just some of the deep thoughts I've been thinking lately. We appreciate everyone's prayers and kind words. Thank you for caring about our family and our especially our Kelby. I will update everyone after the biopsy.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    I love to hear from you! Thank you for commenting.

    To post a comment you'll have to click "Select profile..." next to where it says "Comment as:" below your post. Choose "name/URL" to sign with your name. You can leave the URL blank.

    Summer 2015

    This is how we roll… Summer has been full of studying for me, working for Mike, Kelby, and Tegan, and hanging out for Anika! We have spent ...