We went to the Relay for Life today. Kelby was excited about it and put her shirt from last year on right away this morning. We watched her do her survivor lap. I didn't cry as much as last year. Maybe I was more prepared. It is a special opportunity to celebrate her "one more year!" She thinks it is a fun event and wanted to wait until it got dark enough for the luminaries. We might have to be part of a team again next year just because the kids wanted to stay so badly.
I have been realizing lately what an amazing thing it really is that she has had THREE relapses...faced this cancer FOUR times, and is doing so well. It doesn't normally happen that way. I tried to find others that have had three relapses and I couldn't find many. Most have one or two relapses and then quit responding to treatments and never make it to that fourth remission. I'm so thankful that she has done so well and is living such a great life...such a great NORMAL life!
She doesn't appreciate it or understand, but I guess at least she isn't afraid either. I asked her today if she understood what it meant to be a "survivor" and she said, "no." I didn't really know what to say except "We are celebrating that you are alive despite the odds." I'm sure she doesn't really know what that means either, but I don't know how much information to give her.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to hear from you! Thank you for commenting.
To post a comment you'll have to click "Select profile..." next to where it says "Comment as:" below your post. Choose "name/URL" to sign with your name. You can leave the URL blank.