Monday, March 12, 2001

IV Nutrition

We didn't get too much sleep last night, so I think I'll keep this short for now and take a nap. She got her red blood at about 2:00 am. I thought that she'd feel more chipper when she woke up, but she still isn't too energetic. She is exhausted actually. She did eat some oatmeal this morning that she kept down. Her doctor is going to start her on IV nutrition tonight. It goes in through her line over night. Once they get her used to that and have watched her here for about 3 more days, we'll be able to go back home. Then we'll give her the IV nutrition ourselves there. I am sure they will have to train us on that. She won't have to be tethered to badly because the nutrition goes in over night. She sleeps for 12 straight hours, so she'll be able to get 12 hours of nutrition and then be unhooked during the day. The doctor said that little ones need enough food to sustain them daily, plus extra for growth, and in Kelby's case, she needs extra to catch up as well. So even if she did start to eat normally again on her own, she wouldn't be able to take in enough to catch her back up. They say that she'll still be able to eat regular foods too and that will be a bonus. Maybe she'll gain back some weight this way. We'll be here at the hospital now for another 3 days. I don't mind because I know that it is what is best for Kelby. I think that Michael will be able to free me tonight and that will help me out a ton! She also tested a little low on potassium today, so they gave her some extras of that in her fluids. I guess that low potassium can be bad on the heart, so they did an EKG on her awhile ago. She wasn't happy about them messing with her. She just wants to go "Ni-night". Everything seems to be fine with her heart though. We take this all in stride as best as we can. Thanks for all the prayers! We appreciate every one. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thank you for commenting.

To post a comment you'll have to click "Select profile..." next to where it says "Comment as:" below your post. Choose "name/URL" to sign with your name. You can leave the URL blank.

Summer 2015

This is how we roll… Summer has been full of studying for me, working for Mike, Kelby, and Tegan, and hanging out for Anika! We have spent ...